Praise for The Lies That Bind
"The Lies That Bind is a stunning opening in the DarkHorse Trilogy by Ed Protzel, a gripping tale for fans of Southern fiction, and a story of deceit, slavery, and dangerous complicities....The reader is pulled into a world of deceit, greed, and lies..."
- Readers' Favorite (5 Stars; Sept. 2017) (full review)
"The action and drama are compelling from the first page to the exciting conclusion. Highly recommended, and I am anxious to read the next installment."
- Historical Novel Society Magazine, Issue 77 (August 2016) (full review)
"...deftly crafted and consistently compelling....strongly recommended for community library Historical Fiction collections."
- Midwest Book Review, Small Press Bookwatch, Vol 15, July 2016 (full review)
Some Amazon reviews
"... an entertaining and complexly plotted pre-Civil War novel about fairness and decency versus slavery and greed."
- Terry Baker Mulligan, author of Afterlife in Harlem
"...Here’s a novel that entertains with its gamesmanship: The central conceit of playing chess requires careful attention, but attention that doesn’t require the reader to burn brain cells."
- Dick Friedrich, professor, editor, author